If you live in Bulwell Forest or in areas such as Highbury Vale, Rise Park and parts of Top Valley, then this page is for you. You’ll find information about events and services that TravelRight offer in your area, as well as maps and routes of local services that you can walk and cycle to and ideas about exploring your local and wider area.
Your local public transport
Areas in Bulwell Forest are well served with public transport links. Bulwell Forest has its own tram stop, which can get you to Old Market Square in 21 minutes or to Hucknall in 5 minutes.
Buses are very frequent too. NCT’s yellow line (68, 69) runs right through the heart of Highbury Vale on Highbury Road, whereas the brown line (17) runs from the city centre, along St Albans Road into Bulwell’s Main Street. The Local Link bus service L13/14 serves part of Piccadilly and Brookyln Road. Rise Park has a bus terminus on Bestwood Park Drive West, which is served by NCT’s brown line (16) that heads into parts of Bestwood and the city centre, and also the purple line (89) that goes into Sherwood. You can also get the 79 bus service that goes into Arnold town centre.
The train station at Bulwell is only a short walk or very quick bus ride away, where you can use the Robin Hood Line to explore North Nottinghamshire (Newstead Abbey for example) or to commute to work in places like Mansfield.
You can also cycle to Bulwell and leave your bike at the station and then use the tram, bus or train to continue your journey. You can leave your bike at a new secure cycle hub at Bulwell tram stop that has under cover parking, CCTV, lighting and Citycard swipe access. For more details on how to park your bike here, click here.
Click here to find your nearest bus stop. When you get to the website, enter your postcode and then select ‘overview’ and then ‘Transport and streets’ and it’ll bring up your nearest bus stop, with the all the services nearby to where you live.
Your favourite places to walk and cycle
Below are just a few in your area but we’d love to hear about your favourite places. Get in contact with us and we’ll post them below.
- The River Leen – a great car-free waterside route that can be accessed from Bulwell Bogs or from the side of Bulwell Riverside Centre. click here to see a map.
- Bestwood Country Park – lots of cycling and walking routes to explore, accessible from Dunvegan Drive.
- Bulwell Forest Park – new pirate themed adventure playground.
- Bulwell Hall Park – lots to do, be it walk, relax, play golf or go for a bike ride. Click here for a map of the park.
- Hucknall Road Linear Pathway – lovely walking and cycling path along old railway lines.
- Leen Valley Country Park, which has the lovely Mill Lakes.
- Sustrans National Cycle Network Route 6 which runs along Hucknall Road, going past Mill Lakes, past Newstead Abbey to Sherwood Forest.
What TravelRight are doing in your area?
- Interesting guided walks and fun bikes rides that explore the local area – click here to see the latest events happening in your local area. These are all free!